Sunday, November 15, 2009

The temptation of trails covered in snow drew me north this weekend to the bright lights of Los Anchorage.
The word "covered" might be a bit much - there were still plenty of rocks and roots showing on the Hillside LINK trails of the big city - but they picked up a few more inches in the flurry of snowfall we got last week.
I also wanted to peruse the play it again sporting equipment store for some classic boots and maybe a pair of rock-skate skis.
I found both, though I'm not sure how I feel about the latter and may return them.
Anyhow, I didn't take any pics from the trails, they. despite only marginal coverage, are nice. Aside from being well lit, they afford nice views in one direction of the Chugach Mountains towering overhead, and long off vistas of the city, Knik Arm and Susitna Mountain.
In the slow bitter cold sunset on Friday I couldn't help but feel a bit jealous.

Discussion was had of going backcountry on Saturday, but coverage in the mountains looked poor when I drove through and a chat with a skier at the Tincan parking lot confirmed there wasn't much up there.
When Saturday dawned with temps hovering around zero the decision was fairly easily made that we'd pass, and I went for another ski on the Hillside.
The trip up was also nice to spend time with friends and get out of dodge for the weekend.

I stopped in T-pass on Friday to snap a few photos of coverage to share with Ethan and talk to anyone I saw at the lots.
Tincan proper, or Kickstep, I'm not sure. Center Ridge to the left, Sunburst to the left.

Angled shot of Sunburst, which looked halfway descent.

Magnum.


Cornbiscut and the upper reaches of Lips.


Turnagain Arm.
There's a saying about Anchor town that goes, "Anchorage, just 30-minutes from Alaska."
Heading out of town on the Seward Highway on Saturday.







Turnagain Arm.

Looking across Turnagain Arm at Hope and Resurrection Pass beyond that.
Cruise control in Summit Pass.

No comments: